New Lynn Orthodontist How Orthodontics Can Help You
Many people in the New Lynn area have issues with their teeth being crooked, mis-aligned, protruding or other alignment concerns. The way to correct these problems is by visiting a New Lynn Orthodontist to see how they can help you. This post goes into detail about orthodontics and the treatments available.
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a dentistry branch that mainly specializes in the treatment of improper positioning of teeth when one closes their mouth, a condition known as malocclusion, and which results in improper bites. Orthodontics also covers dentofacial orthopedics, which is the treatment and control of different aspects of facial growth, and managing how the jaw is shaped and develops. Apart from treatment purposes, orthodontics can be used for cosmetic dentistry purposes; this is where patients go for orthodontic treatment with the main aim of improving their appearance. A person who specialises in orthodontics is known as an orthodontist.
When providing orthodontic treatment, orthodontists use a wide range of dental devices, including braces, plates, headgears, etc. to help:
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Close gaps between teeth
- Make sure that tips of a patient’s teeth are aligned
- Improve oral function (eating or speech)
- Improve the overall health of the patient’s teeth and gums
- Treat malocclusion or improper bite
- Prevent excessive trauma or wear of the teeth
Signs You May Be In Need Of Orthodontic Treatment
One of the main dental issues that orthodontic treatment seeks to address is malocclusion. However, it is important to note that malocclusion isn’t a disease, but is a variation in the normal positioning of teeth. Malocclusion does not affect physical health; however, it can considerably impact the shape of a person’s face and how their teeth appear. This may lead to embarrassment, depression and a lack of self-confidence. In severe cases, malocclusion may affect speech, oral hygiene, and eating.
As such, it is important that people with severe cases of malocclusion seek help and have their teeth, and oral health improved. Here are some signs that indicate that you, or someone you know, might be in need of orthodontic treatment.
– Protruding front teeth: For people with protruding front teeth, orthodontic treatment will not only help improve their appearance but will also protect their teeth from getting damaged.
– Crowding: If your jaw is narrow, your teeth may not have enough space to grow without squeezing, which leads to crowding. In such cases, an orthodontist will have to remove a tooth or two to make room for other teeth.
– Impacted teeth: This happens when adult teeth come through and are not rightly positioned. Treatment can help align them for a better look.
– Asymmetrical teeth: This is when the lower and upper teeth don’t match and is often exhibited by the person’s teeth showing even when they close their mouth.
– Reverse bite: Reverse bites are when one clenches their teeth, and the upper ones bite inside the lower ones.
– Deep bite: Deep bites occur when one clenches their teeth, and their upper teeth come down over the lower teeth too much.
– Spacing: This is when there are spaces or gaps between teeth either because the teeth don’t fill-up the mouth or because a tooth is missing.
The interesting thing about orthodontic treatment is that treatment can be done at any age. Unlike popular belief that such treatment is only best for young people, getting treatment at any point in time can help improve your oral health and dental make up. However, how strong and healthy your jaw and gums are will determine how well things go. As such, if you don’t like how your teeth look or have problems with biting things and speech, it is advisable that you see an orthodontist for prognosis and advice on what to do. All in all, orthodontic treatment can help you improve your dental health and hygiene and facial structure for a better, healthier smile.
New Lynn orthodontist
If you live in west Auckland and are looking for a New Lynn orthodontist, Sinan at Avondale Dental Centre has a great reputation. You can get more information from their website at www.avondale-dental-centre.co.nz.